Amy Reads Books

OUTLIERS

Outliers: The Story of Success - Malcolm Gladwell I read this book on the back of a YouTuber I watch named Gemsmaquillage, who is usually a beauty video maker, but runs a separate channel where she has a book club. It's taken a while for me to get around to reading it, but I'm really glad I did.The idea that equal opportunity is not as simple as just a piece of legislation is an idea that I have a probably rather annoying habit of banging on about to people. Outliers, whilst marketed as being about 'the story of success', to me is really about the opportunities that are presented to people which enable them to become the people they have become.Gladwell uses some really interesting information about birth dates to explain the success of certain sports stars and even lawyers; putting forward the idea that just being lucky about what year and even what month you're born in can drastically affect your life outcome. Probably the part of the novel I found most fascinating was about airplane accidents and the impact that ethnicity or culture can have on the chances of these taking place. This was a totally new idea to me, based around how different cultures react to those in superior positions.Gladwell's writing style is totally approachable, although some of his ideas were new to me, he managed to be informative and introduce the reader to new information without being patronising. His style is reminiscent of Dubner and Levitt of the Freakonomics books. Outliers is a really interesting book, that really made me examine and take hold of the opportunities that I have been offered; whilst being aware that not everyone has quite the same.