Amy Reads Books

The Midnight Palace - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

It has become pretty clear to me that I will enjoy pretty much everything Zafon writes. Whilst occasionally his plots do appear to go a little bit 'everything and the kitchen sink' towards the end, I generally always enjoy myself reading his work.

The Midnight Palace is one of Zafon's early works, originally written for teenagers and is part of a companion trilogy alongside The Prince of the Mist and the recently translated The Watcher in the Shadows. This novel is set in 1930s India, and focuses on the separated at birth twins Ben and Sheere upon whose 16th birthdays a mysterious murderous figure lays claim to them.

As with much of Zafon's work the pacing throughout The Midnight Palace is good, with the plot gripping from the very beginning. Zafon crafts really excellent and creepy antagonists in all his work, and Jawahal is no exception. His characterisation of Ben and Sheere was great, especially when the characters are delivered such a surprise about their history. I also liked the way in which Ben's friends were all given unique perspectives and voices; I was especially a fan of Isobel.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon is definitely one of my favourite authors, and I'm really excited to get my hands on The Watcher in the Shadows and the soon to be released Marina.